More and more we are asked by our customers how can we help them be more eco-friendly at the trade show. Sustainability is not a fad, it is becoming increasingly important to address the issue. It requires a shift in the way we may be used to doing things and therefore takes active thought and time to explore options of how. You could just recycle and call yourself a green company, but to truly mean it and embrace it requires more strategy and creativity.
If you desire to truly embrace sustainability in your company culture, then logically that should include your trade show participation. Trade shows are known to produce a massive amount of waste with 600,000 tons of trash produced every year. If we think about the environmental impact of trade shows, it also encompasses our travel, stand construction, accommodations, shipping, catering and other necessary aspects.
Doing so will not solely benefit you by the positive impact you will contribute to our environment, but give you a leg up on your competition. By building sustainability practices not just into your processes and products, you will also be demonstrating it on the trade show floor.
We are happy to help you make a difference.
Here are a few things we can do individually, and together, that will make your next exhibition more sustainable.
- digital project communication – skype, what’s app
- eliminate print when possible and go digital when possible
- use recycled paper for print materials: flyers, brochures, pamphlets – as well as boxes and packaging
- use water-based inks, low or no VOC paints, nylon-free banners, bamboo, post-consumer recycled plastics
- energy-efficient LED lights instead of incandescent or halogens – switch off electronics when not in use to save on electricity
- booth freight – using local construction providers, consolidate shipments (light & tightly packed)
- in addition to the trash bin, add separate recycle bins to your stand
- catering partners – choose an environmentally conscious menu that is seasonal, local and organic
- replace the need for plastic water bottles with water stations (bigger stands or pavilions)
- staff transportation – the aviation industry accounts for 2% of all CO2 emissions. Airline companies like Finnair and KLM have been thinking about these issues and developed a plan for action. Here are a few tips on how you can travel more sustainably.
- eco-friendly hotels (green seal, green key, green globe or LEED)
- recycle, reuse or donate elements of the display – not traditional way of doing things in EU
This is just a start.
We are happy to brainstorm with you on other creative ways to help your brand showcase sustainability and stand out from the crowd!